As I have had Linux as my main operating system for many years now that is the os that I am mostly used with. Now with my new computer I got vista preinstalled so I thought I should try it for a while ( about a month now ). So this is just my first impressions:

I thought it looked quite nice. Not a big revolution but it used these small effects that was not too much in the way.

Secondly I was rather annoyed by all questions about administrator rights all the time. It’s supposed to increse the security but basically I felt these messages popped up so often that I am probably going to develop a spinal reflex to click them away faster than I even read what the messages are about. Maybe you can change this behaviour somewhere I have not really looked into it that much yet. On Linux you need admin rights too sometimes but I feel that on vista it’s vista that asks me about administrator rights while on linux it’s me that asks the computer instead.

Thirdly the stability is very disappointing so far, programs have been crashing here and there (even the task manager itself crashed when I was supposed to use it to close another program that had freezed) and in the past month I have had 4 blue screens. I thought they were a thing of the past, but apparantly they are as common as the last time I was a frequent windows user arount the time of Windows 98 if I recall correctly.

On the good side there is some things on that works better out of the box on vista than my latest Kubuntu installation like videos and some other stuff.

And I have not yet any sound on Linux, because the new soundcard was apparantly ”noy yet” supported. Maybe I can steal my old soundblaster live card from the old computer if I do not find any other solution.

Computer trouble and generally unlucky

I have been quite unlucky with my computers at home recently, within a short period of time two hard disks have failed. Fortunately I have the most important stuff backed up but I have lost some less important stuff which of course is irritating anyway. And the timing of the failure was rather stupid, one of the disks failed right when I was in the process of transferring everything on it onto a new disk and stop using the old. It started with one file here and one file there that was reported being corrupt, then some minutes later on every file read I got IO error messages and it was impossible to copy anything. I restarted and my BIOS did not even detect the disk, tried it in another computer also but still undetected, just some faint clicking noises can be heard.

So yesterday night I was up late working with this, so when I wake up this morning I noticed that there had been a leakage in my aquarium. Not a leak in the aquarium itself but one of my cleaning equipments (the skimmer) was over-skimming and water dripped from the top and followed a cover to the floor. Now in this unlucky stage of events I was lucky that I was home but unlucky that the leakage dripped down on one side of the sump and made a nice little pool of water beneath it were it’s impossible for me to reach. The sump with water and equipment weighs over 300 kg so you can’t just move it. So I had to disconnect it and empty it of all water in all sorts of bins I could find and then move the sump such that I could dry the floor. So fixing this took me a couple of hours. Well now the design flaw is fixed so it should not happen again.

And during the previous week my rather newly bought headphones broke.

I hope I have run out of bad luck for a while now 🙂