When I got home from work today I noticed that only one of the pumps on my new skimmer produced any bubbles, so I was a bit worried that it had already broken. That would be a surprise because these pumps are of very good quality and my previous skimmers ran for years without a single problem ( that means 24 hours a day for several years ) before I sold them when I got this new skimmer. And it turned out to not be such a big problem with the pump, when I reattached it from the skimmer body and opened it I saw that it was just clogged by a big chunk of algae with a jelly like consistence. The whole side pipe of the pump was totally filled with it, the other pump had nothing in it ( I of course had to check that one also to make sure it was not building up in there too ). Usually the algae is just whipped to tiny pieces that follow the skimmage up into the collection cup, but apparently this chunk was a bit larger and more dense than usual. Anyway if I get rid of all the algae I should not need to see this problem again.
It’s hard to say yet if the algae is decreasing, but it’s for certain that the new skimmer pulls out a lot more waste from the water so it should have less nutrients to use. Once a week I will also try to manually extract some of it.